While the key characteristic of Baby Boomers Characteristics is our birthdates, the public domain has expanded on our characteristics to the point of giving it a life all its own.
The term Baby Boomer Generation is a sociological term referring to the generation of Americans born during the post World War II period from 1946 thru 1964. However, it was jumped on by Madison Avenue advertising and marketing executives and quickly became “main stream” in the public domain.
What we'll do in this section is take a closer look at some of these Baby Boomers Characteristics.
How we're defining our generation for this website.
Although our birth years were the original basis for determining the boundaries of our generation. The Ol' Boomer couldn't help but notice that there seems to be a strong cultural bond between those who hit their teenage years in the mid-50's through the mid-60's, so for our discussions on this webplace we're not limiting the beginning of our generation to those born in 1946 but to anyone who became a teenager between the mid-50's and the mid-70's.
So, What Are the Characteristics that Shaped Our Generation?
1. We became a teenager sometime between 1953 and 1977.
2. We were heavily influenced by a new technology called television.
3. We experienced the first major geo-political repositioning of the world since the Roman Empire. (AKA The Cold War)
4. We were the first generation to live under the threat of nuclear annihilation.
5. New technologies were becoming reality almost daily and having major influences on our day to day lives.
6. Our economy was booming (particularly in the US) and our parents
had more discretionary income than had ever been seen in history.
7. We were the beneficiaries of that increase in discretionary income and were highly targeted by Madison Avenue to spend that income. In fact, we still are! Check out this article from Entrepreneur magazine.
What Are Today's Baby Boomers Characteristics?
1. Concern about out-living our retirement assests.
2. Concern about our retirement lifestyles.
3. Concern about our health.
4. Concern about caring for our elderly parents.
5. NO CONCERNS about spoiling our grandchildren!
Now, we're not limiting this to just the Ol' Boomers view of our generation. Click on the links below for other opinions.
AND don't forget to Share Your Thoughts!
Where to go now?
All of the contents of this website is for informational purposes only. Should you chose to act on any information contained on this website or websites we link to without first consulting the appropriate counsel whether financial, legal, medical or otherwise; you will be acting on your own. Neither IT-BGC Information Services LLC nor any of it's members can be held responsible for any such action(s) on your part.
Solo Build It!
The Baby Boomer Times
Our Free Newsletter